Tuesday, June 3, 2014

"You are enough ..." and Other Words of Wisdom from Maya Angelou


When I saw the news report that Maya Angelou had died, I immediately did a web search of her quotes seeking to revisit her timeless words of wisdom and maybe discover a few I've never heard. As tributes poured forth, I easily found many gems. Of course, I couldn't resist going on Pinterest and adding a few pins to my board To Inspire.  And, get this, I transformed one of my pictures using a photo writer app to include a favorite quote that fit too perfectly. Check it out:



(Side story: The day before this rainbow appeared, we had been hit by a rare hail storm. While the quarter size hail did minor damage to our vehicles and to my garden, ten to fifteen miles away received much worse, as in golf ball size. I'm glad it was a rainbow and a photo moment on this day. Look close, it's a double!)

As I read quote after quote, such as:

"I've learned people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style."

"Nothing can dim the light which shines from within."

"One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest."

"If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be."

I came across this quote:

"You are enough. You have nothing to prove to anybody." 

These simple words, "You are enough", more than any other quote produced such a sense of calm.

I don't go through the world feeling like I have to prove myself, but I do carry "worry" with me nearly everywhere I go. As a mom of three, there's always something, or more like many things, to produce a hardy batch of anxiety. I worry that I forgot something (it's usually the water bottle for soccer practice), that I'll be late (I'm always five minutes late), that whatever I'm wearing is the right look and/or appropriate attire for the temperature (like anyone is taking notes), that this writing career is worth the time and effort (it is worth it). 

The truth is, like most of you reading this, I worry if all that I do is enough. No one ever wants to fall short, especially if you're a parent. But, you know what? This quote is about who you are, not what or how you do it. And, so if I may be a "rainbow in your cloud", allow me to share with you the words of a wise woman:

"You are enough." 

Believe it and repeat it! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Audry Fryer is the author of two women's fiction novels:

 

Learn more at www.audryfryer.com

Hungry for a page-turner? Check out a novel of delicious deceptions:
SECRETS, LIES AND APPLE PIES is available for Kindle and Nook.

Looking for some kick-off-your-shoes fun? Check out what happens when two friends become green with envy in:
GOING BAREFOOT IN GREENER GRASS is available for Kindle and Nook.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcome and Encouraged! I would love to hear your thoughts, reactions or just say, "hi".